Thursday, August 9, 2018

Mobile Apps for identifying species

There seems to be many different apps out there that allow you to identify species. I have heard before from a friend that he had an app that was supposed to specify different plant species but for every plant he took a photo of, the results came up as the same species for every one! I decided to review two different floura apps - Leafsnap and PlantNet. Right off the bat I decided to give up on Leafsnap. In order for this app to work, you have to photo the plant or leaf  with  a white background. I suppose this style could work under certain circumstances, but I was after a more flexible app that I could use on the go.
Next up was PlantNet. Using this app was a much better experience than the previous tested. Once you take a photo, you then click the button observe. This well take you to the next page that gives you a few different results of what the plant may be. (This also includes pictures which is super helpful!) On the accuracy there were some photos that came up right away with the correct match, where others did not have the correct match show at all. My thoughts on this could be perhaps that it is a more USA based app and there is not much data for Australia fauna. Another option I liked was that after you have found a match, you can save it to your observations to reference at any time. Lastly, I enjoyed that another feature was exploring any and all plants and flowers under the 'Explore' tab which has over 31,000 images! My only concern with this app would be misidentification of species. This could leave you to believe it is something it is not. I would imagine this could be an issue for many mobile apps.
Overall I enjoyed using PlantNet and will definitely keep it on my phone, Leafsnap on the other hand has already been deleted!

No comments:

Post a Comment