Sunday, June 17, 2018

Map of Daisy Hill Conservation Park

Today I have created a map of my study area using Google's MyMaps. After a quick 15 minute tutorial I found this mapping tool quite easy to navigate. Once you create a new map, you can name it and give it a short description (or you can come back to this step!) Now the fun part begins. Users can zoom into any part of the world to mark locations. I used the toolbar to draw lines around the conservation park, I then named this layer. Within this area I can also add markers for important hubs or habitats. There are different options that may be used for the markers ranging from just changing the color to creating your own!

Since the area I am exploring is open to the public for numerous recreational activities, I thought it would be convenient to mark the closest two major cities. I also put in directions to the park from both locations. This was easily done by marking the starting location and finishing location.

Overall I'm very pleased with the simplicity of Google's MyMaps. As a new user to mapping and GIS tools I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm excited to continue using this program as it is definitely 'new user' friendly. Below I have provided the link to the map I have created for my study area. Before sharing with anyone I needed to change the settings so that it is visible for all. Enjoy :)

Daisy Hill Conservation Park Map

No comments:

Post a Comment